AN OLD-TIME LOVE STORY
When Loudonville was a small hamlet of only a few houses.
From Loudonville Times, Thursday April 30, 1925.
Scarcely a day passes without some historical facts that have long been recorded in the memory of the aged, are finally brought to light. One of these incidents with a touch of romance , that happened many years ago, was only recently brought to the notice of the writer. The story goes something like this:
About twenty-five years ago a aged man stepped from a Pennsylvania passenger train at the local depot, who later found his way to the Loudonville Cemetery. He talked with several people whom he met in the Cemetery and later told his story to the sexton.
Many years ago, when Loudonville’s Cemetery was an unsightly clearing covered with underbrush and briers, he buried an infant daughter, Emma Graff in the little graveyard and wondered if the grave could be located. The little mound with a small marker was soon found near the South Wood Street entrance to the Cemetery.
The old gentleman continued his story by saying that years ago, when Loudonville was only a village of several houses, he conducted a little store at the roadside, which is probably our Main Street at present. When he and his wife came here from Pennsylvania, they brought with them a young lady, probably 17 years old at the time. The young lady, whom we will call Margaret, assisted his wife with her household duties and also clerked in the little general store during the proprietors absence.
A love affair soon sprang into existence between Margaret and a young man of the village whom we will call John. However, the girl finally became ill and in only a few days died. The shock to the young lover was evidently more than he could bear, as he passed away just a few days later. The young lovers were buried side-by-side in the littler graveyard on the hill. A few days later the old gentleman went to the hill south of town and brought back with him two little sprigs of pine, which he planted side-by-side at the newly made graves. That was many years ago and the little pine sprigs have become giant sentinels. All these years they have stood side-by-side thru sunshine and storm and are still performing their mission that of marking the resting place of these young lovers of years ago.
History of the Loudonville Cemetery
The Old Part of the Loudonville Cemetery was plotted by James Loudon Priest on August 6, 1814.
A ¾ Acre section between the original old part of Cemetery and South Market Street was purchased from Lucy Haskell, wife of Nathan Haskell Feb. 2, 1882 for $600.00. The Cemetery then purchased Lot # 30, April 8,1884, from Lucy Haskell for $200.00. This was purchased for the Sexton’s house and was part of the Hay’s Addition of Loudonville.
On April 4,1884 the finance committee reported to Council that John Rollins would remove a house from the school property to the Cemetery property and the place same upon any foundation prepared for the sum of Ninety Dollars ($90.00).
Mr. Bull, a member of the school board offered a certain frame house owned by school district and standing on school grounds. The said house was to be removed at the expense of the Corporation to or near Cemetery grounds and to be used as a dwelling house for the Sexton of the Cemetery. On motion of Council, the Mayor was authorized to purchase a piece of land adjoining the Cemetery of Mrs. Haskell’s as a location for Sexton dwelling. Price was not to exceed $200.00. In 1884 Red Brick School was built on S. Wood St.. It is assumed that this is where the Cemetery Sexton's house came from.
On May 31, 1892 the Cemetery Trustees issued a deed for Lot # 102 to the Grand Army of the Republic and their assigns for monumental and decorating purposes. It is assumed that this was for the Civil War Monument that stands in the North-West corner of the cemetery at the corner of S. Market Street and Jackson. The Civil War Monument was to be built by Fisher Camp of G. A. R. , Theodore Kick did the stone laying.
Some Burials of Note
Nathaniel Haskell monument over looks S. Market St. He arrived in Loudonville in 1821 and married Hetty Bull Skinner in 1823. Hetty died in 1855, and Nathaniel followed her in 1871. They had no children and a nephew George was administrator of the estate. He followed his Uncle request, that he wanted the biggest monument in the Cemetery, and erected the monument at a cost of $5,000.00. Nathaniel Haskell built a mercantile store at the corner of W. Main St and N. Spring St. and Haskell’s Academy on N. Union St. He also founded Haskell’s Bank in 1867, a direct predecessor to the Farmers and Saving Bank.
Mr. Reinhard is buried in the Old Part of the Loudonville Cemetery, popular Gunsmith from Loudonville. Came from Neiderberg, Bavaria, Germany arrived in Columbus, Ohio at the age of five. He first opened a gun shop in Delaware, Ohio. When this did not work out he went back to Columbus and got together more stock, such as gun barrels, complete guns, a blacksmith forge and some household supplies. His bride-to-be, from Delaware, met him in Danville and they were married.
J. H. RUTH
Joshua Henry Ruth editor of the Loudonville Advocate, buried in Old Part of Cemetery by first circle. Grave is marked with a Civil War Marker. Born in Georgetown, D.C. August 26th, 1811 died January 16th, 1892, aged 80 years, 4 month, and 20 days. Mr. Ruth retired in the spring of 1890 from his labors in connection with the Advocate.